PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned from the ranks.
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 19:24
tarantonight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Good Point

Originally Posted by JAVELINBOY
Police and fast Track don't get me started, latest idea is direct entry Inspectors and Superintendents from a management background but with no Police experience, a recipe for disaster in my view. The old accelerated promotion scheme died out some years ago but at least that saw them actually working in the ranks Constable, Sergeant to Inspector to learn the sharp end.
JB makes a very good point. The system used in the military will not work in the police due to the unique nature of the work.

There are many faults with 'The Police' as an organisation, but the vast majority are trying to do the best they can against the same budget cuts - something I know the military are suffering. Anyway, I digress, sorry - a senior manager from the retail world who is a direct entrant at Superintendent level could, in theory, SIO (run) a Cat A murder,i.e, a murder without very many clues, or one with OCG (Organised Crime Group). Chaos would ensue!

A UK Force employed 3 Direct Entrants in the last couple of years and I feel fairly confident in saying non are still in situ.

If it ain't broke - as it were - don't try and fix it.

I don't ever recall the Government suggesting Group Captains should become Flt Sgts!!

TN.