PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 13:35
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchaa
With the Helideck on the far western edge of the blackrock island surely it's a standard approach coming in from the West? You have a great big lighthouse in front of the helideck coming straight at it from the east. As said previously though, seems a very strange place for a refuelling point, where does it get a fresh regular fuel supply to fuel helicopters from?

Where is the talk of getting mixed up with blacksod originating from?

I'm not actually sure there is any evidence of debris actually on the blackrock island by the lighthouse 300ft up, all it says is close to blackrock island in the reports. Go back a couple of days, the rescue vessels were searching an area of sea a good few nm off of the island. Debris may have of course been swept there since.

I think too much is being drawn into this as I can't see anything to point to a navigation error? Unless someone can point to some proof?

Not saying this is a mechanical failure or a CFIT, we don't know yet but if you remember the Norwegian crash last year, the head departed and the debris field was spread far and wide as result, we don't know at this point where the aircraft has broken up. Likely as it impacted the water (or cliffs if it turns out there is actual debris on the actual +300ft island) but it could equally have broken up in the air, we do not know at this stage.
I'm not sure what you are saying. There is no refuelling at Blackrock, it's at Blacksod which is where the crew were intending to land, and announced that they were shortly before contact was lost. However, they were clearly using Blackrock as a navigational reference for some purpose, and I suggest that the last recorded groundspeed and proximity to the rock from the AIS indicates they were not trying to land on it. Similarly, that position indicates that the wreckage did not 'drift there' from another location.