PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2003, 01:54
Sagey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail,

I think you are being too harsh on Astraeus especially by labelling the scheme a rip off, the price seems pritty consistent with market rates for a type rating and I may be wrong but the 100 hours is an add on for £5-£7k? Astraeus scheme appears fairly unique in that 100 hours experience can be offered, it would be even more beneficial if a reference was given after the 100 hours (haven't got a clue if that happens tbh)

Astraeus are offering a service that the market is demanding, it is sad that many feel they need to pay for type ratings and it is a concern for the rest of us wannabes as it appears another barrier to entry (ie an extra 15-20k quid).

From what people have said about the type rating course it is one of the best going that people have had to pay for, and jobs have been given in Astraeus and other carriers.

The Pprune Cadet scheme was totally different and I believe repayment is from monthly salary similiar to any other sponsorship. It appears to be a great scheme and the lucky ones are now enjoying their careers.

I don't have the money for an ATPL so couldn't even contemplate finding more for type ratings!. I do believe that paying for type ratings is a worrying trend, it will be extrememly interesting to see how the trend changes over the next few years (whether +'ve or -'ve).

Your opinions are clear on type rating, I believe constructive reasons as to why you don't think people should pay for type ratings is far more beneficial than calling someone that provides the service a con, especially as you haven't gone through the scheme.

Sagey