PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 03:24
Popgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Jetstar isn't right for me, and that's something I'm perfectly okay with. But this isn't about me - it also appears that the cadetship isn't for those who don't have considerable wealth backing them despite their abilities and affinity.

Aptitude is paramount for some career choices (emergency services, ATC, defence). I would say having the right deamour and mindset is an important trait in pilots too. The lack thereof has proven to have devastating results. The consequences can be wide reaching, having an impact on not only those involved directly, but in some circumstances the whole aviation industry comes under microscope. Aircraft disasters and incidents can result in substantial financial ramifications to the airline and the industries they feed into (tourism, etc), so it makes sense to source those most suited to the job.

Imagine if a train driver, police officer, air traffic controller, etc was chosen in the same manner. Countless people entrust their lives to these high skilled professionals, and these individuals themselves have to trust that their colleagues are proficient at their jobs (much the same that a Captain should want a decent First Officer and vice versa). As such, pilots as a collective should be concerned about the potential dilution of the standards in their industry.
You've heard the catch cry. "Safety is our Number 1 Priority!" What an awesome slogan. Would look great on a bumper sticker or a promotional t-shirt.

Yeah. Safety Schmafety. Welcome to the organisational behaviour of the modern low-cost carrier. You are learning the REAL organisational values before even becoming an employee.

Of course Jetstar wants cadets that can perform their piloting duties adequately. (i.e.. without bending an aeroplane). But they certainly aren't willing to pay for anything extra (in ability, aptitude, skill, work ethic etc etc) beyond the minimum required. It doesn't fit their business model.

The OVERARCHING focus in the entire Jetstar business is cost. Cost containment, cost reduction, cost efficiencies and continual cost elimination.

Cost, cost, cost. This is the REAL number 1 priority at this type of business. Unless they crash one (perhaps even 2) aircraft with significant lives lost then the focus of safety will never override cost. Safety is a nebulous, unquantifiable pilot-touchstone to most modern airline managers since aircraft don't usually crash. They think that pilots talking about safety implications is like the boy who cried wolf.

Safety is talked and written about. A lot. But is it acted upon? No, not when it will incur the business additional cost.

This philosophy extends to their recruitment and cadet program. If they could legally institute a genuine pay-to-fly program at Jetstar they would. It would be a nice little ancillary revenue stream along with checked baggage, preferred seat selection and the $5 muffin & coffee combo.

I wish my humour was in jest only.

If you do manage success with the Jetstar Cadet intake then you will have gained some very accurate insight to your future employer before having pulled on the uniform.

PG