PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Shares Plunge
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 02:09
Tea time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a very interesting article in the SCMP about the failure of I-cable in HK .
And I quote.
'' Beyond the death of i-cable lies a story of lost opportunity and lacklustre management . Wharf runs i-cable like a real estate franchise rather than an enterprise under threat from outside forces .
The monthly subscription rates for cable TV in HK rivalled that of premium cable providers in the USA for programming bundles that were far less entertaining ."

Now i-cable is going under . Wharf treated i-cable like a property development company which mostly requires little more than purchasing some land Throw a building together and sell it at an exorbitant mark up for a grossly inferior product . Because of the ever pressing need for homes they continue to get away with this profit making policy .
TV on the other hand gives the subscriber the choice of streaming better programming via the internet or simply turning it off .

Am I the only one who sees direct comparisons between this and the Cathay model .? Cathay are no longer providing what the customers want or demand and unfortunately the passengers who have choices are voting with their feet . So this misguided management team cut the fares along with everything else to attract more passengers . It worked temporarily , but our premium passengers began to see similarities to an LCC and decided to take their business elsewhere .
We need someone with vision and foresight to get this company out of the hole it currently finds itself in .
There is a saying that goes , If you find yourself in a hole maybe it's time to stop digging

Last edited by Tea time; 17th Mar 2017 at 02:20.