PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A bit of ATC history please
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 00:54
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
'Tis called the 'GAFA' Dick...... Great Aust F All.........Originally coined by an illustrious pilot out the back of NW WA so I heard at the time....Now applies to 'all over' our more remote areas.....Used to be an RNC reporting point named so on the Kal - Alice track - "GAFFA".

And most of us 'ex's have worked in it / lived in it, and, as a GA charter pilot flown in it / over it / lived in it.....a GREAT PLACE...(sometimes...)

Re "I am sure you are correct because 500' altitudes were introduced with AMATS.'

I fairly sure that the so called 'quadrantal' rule was in operation in the early 60's when I was doing my navs.
You know, 'Odds, odds +5, evens, evens + 5', depending on your planned track magnetic.

Memories....the 'good ole days'...formerly called 'these trying times'....

I seem to remember that the lower level of TCTA at the time was FL245, upper level to FL400, as described earlier.
(TCTA = Trans-continental CTA, was composed of several corridors across the continent, away from the 'J' curve, usually aligned along a route for Jet traffic, navaid to navaid, prior to the 'mod cons' of INS Nav etc etc).

Cheers