PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gallstones & gallbladder
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 23:17
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to have my gb out year before last. It had 10 stones and was well filled. Removal was an overnight stay in private hospital. Arrived 5pm day one and left 11am next day. Laparoscopic. Unless there are complications, it's a straightforward op with about 3-4 weeks and your completely healed. It's 6-10 weeks recovery if it's a full op as they make a big incision.
If you are asymptomatic then you can, in theory, leave it and see. If it's affecting liver function then best to remove and be done with it.

Just a couple of points, if you develop gallstones, the calculi can still form if you don't have a gb anymore, just not in the gb. This can mean stones can form further down the line which may be just as bad, or worse.

Also, some people have digestive issues after gb removal, Also you may have bile salt malabsorption leading to, as was mentioned above, 'squits'. (Try drinking 4-5 large mugs of tea over the day, I find that this helps a lot)

All of the uk caa medical info is on their website under medical requirements. AME's aren't always perfectly correct in their decision making process.

Last edited by helimutt; 18th Mar 2017 at 08:30.