PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 22:32
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
cncpc - what is puzzling is that they chose to letdown to Black Rock in the first place - it is about 10Nm from the Blacksod refuel site (unless they have moved it).

It wouldn't be unusual for the rearcrew to transmit to the CG that they were landing even if they were a few minutes out.

I can only presume the intention was to let down to the area of Black Rock to get visual underneath the weather and then fly low level into the bay for Blacksod.

I can also only presume that their nav kit was telling them where they actually were as opposed to where they thought they were but I still find it odd that they made a downwind approach to the area of the rock.

We know they were going to Blacksod for refuel but it seems an odd way of going about it. One problem might be a mass of radar contacts in the bay that prevented a better letdown profile - if the bay is anything like the Castletown Bere area, there are hundreds of buoys and fish farms - not actually a hazard unless your SOP is not to overfly a radar contact which then maes life more difficult.