PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type 2 Diabetes
Thread: Type 2 Diabetes
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 18:19
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too.

I am type 2 as well, I don't take anything for it, the magic number one is looking for is the A1C - the measure over about three months, it is what shows if it is under control.

Personally I have never noticed any effect of being type 2 - I was diagnosed about eight years ago - decided to learn to fly, dropped some weight (for some read another person !! I am around 19 stone now and I am half the man I used to be. Got a 5.2 in the blood test ahead of my first medical - two of my doctors don't think I am type, but let up on the watching what I eat and the numbers creep up.

That said the worst I have had is a 6.7.

For what it's worth 9 was considered high if "normal" a decade ago, so the numbers are reducing.

Personally I have not had any symptoms of high or low blood sugars - on Horizon Flyers comment - I think I discovered the ultra low calorie thing myself with my dramatic weight loss, it really does work.

Best thing in my opinion is to avoid the metformin for as long as one can (assuming that one is getting diabetic side effects - vision in particular) and have it for when one gets older and needs it - an uninformed thing about building up tolerance to medications.

Generally with ANY medication one has to be taking it (no flying) for six months and a treating doctor's report confirming the absence of or details of any side effects, then a special issuance (FAA pretty sure same with EASA).

The important thing is that Type 2 does not or need not stop one flying - indeed with an FAA licence one can fly with Type 1.