PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 16th Mar 2017, 17:26
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemain
From the report, the only instance I can find of the word 'surge' is in para 1.6.9
I just looked up the bulletin which discusses surge in three contexts - the Gundip system, the BVCU and the chance of stagnation/surge if the engine was mishandled at low speed and high AoA. But none of these make it into the recommendations because they seem reasonably satisfied that the engine was destroyed through HP fuel pump isolation without closing the throttle.

So the system was "deactivated" rather than removed?
According to the above bulletin the Gundip system was disabled under mod KT.1321, but the implementation only disconnected the airframe side of the system. This sort approach was quite common because it negated the need to re-analyse the weight&balance calcs for the ODM and rebalance electrical and cooling systems (complicating the mod and massively increasing the cost). The bulletin also suggests that after an aeroplane was lost due to suspected electriocal noise pick-up in the retained wiring a further mod removed all the wiring, but this was after the aeroplane had been sold on so it wasn't an incorporated mod.

But again, nothing in the Shorham report that I've seen would point towards problems related to the gundip wiring as a potential cause.