PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 16:39
TequilaMockingbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
It is the "Jetstar way". If the above offends you, then Jetstar isn't the career for you...
Nil offence taken.

Maybe Jetstar isn't right for me, and that's something I'm perfectly okay with. But this isn't about me - it also appears that the cadetship isn't for those who don't have considerable wealth backing them despite their abilities and affinity.

Aptitude is paramount for some career choices (emergency services, ATC, defence). I would say having the right deamour and mindset is an important trait in pilots too. The lack thereof has proven to have devastating results. The consequences can be wide reaching, having an impact on not only those involved directly, but in some circumstances the whole aviation industry comes under microscope. Aircraft disasters and incidents can result in substantial financial ramifications to the airline and the industries they feed into (tourism, etc), so it makes sense to source those most suited to the job.

Imagine if a train driver, police officer, air traffic controller, etc was chosen in the same manner. Countless people entrust their lives to these high skilled professionals, and these individuals themselves have to trust that their colleagues are proficient at their jobs (much the same that a Captain should want a decent First Officer and vice versa). As such, pilots as a collective should be concerned about the potential dilution of the standards in their industry.

Last edited by TequilaMockingbird; 16th Mar 2017 at 16:53.