PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type 2 Diabetes
Thread: Type 2 Diabetes
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 12:57
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1
If you are allowed to drive a car, you can fly in the UK on a PPL. See CAA website for online application form. The conditions for self assessment are in the application form.
If you are a student, ask your AME for advice on your position.
I failed my Class 2 in November 2008. I got it back in February 2009. I'm EASA Class 2 at present.
Exercise is important.
Best wishes.
Edited to add: still not on any medication.
Not quiet true that if you can drive a car then you can pilot an aircraft, there are no lay byes to pull into and diabetes can catch you out with low or high blood sugar levels, both can put you in a coma or poor mental abilities. I all ways fly with a couple of bananas in the flight bag just in case of low levels, I start shacking if low. PS Some fruits are a no no normally including Bananas, Pineapple and Grapes. Apple is ok in moderation. I find the NHS food guide lines for type 2 are a joke and out of date. Recent research is pointing to a calorie restricted diet, 800 a day for 8 weeks can take you out of type 2. I also note that Vets are better on nutrition than the NHS they cannot afford to make mistakes the NHS just buries theirs. Last when I speak to doctors they are surprised that after 20 years diagnosed with type 2 that I am not on insulin and my last HB1aC was 6.9 which is a high normal so I must be doing something right.