PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abort and Go-Round @ BHX 12.3.17
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 10:38
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tashengurt

The OP didn't answer his own question he stated what the Captains reason for the go-around had been which wasn't an explanation was it? As many have been keen to point out there can be numerous reasons for another aircraft to be on the runway and most are fairly routine but as a fellow go-around survivor (I haven't written my book yet) I can confirm that to someone unfamiliar with air operations the sudden change from gentle descent to unexpected acceleration can raise an eyebrow.
The OP did answer his/her own question....he did say he/she was given an entirely sensible reason the via PA captain, so like many here I am struggling a bit TBH about why the question is asked in the first place..

The subsequent grumbles here aren't really to do with elitism, it's the grumble that having spent our working days under the spotlight (e.g. data recorders scanned for infringements every flight, ) now we seems it is demanded of us to provide forensic analysis of every twist or turn in a fairly routine flight.

Anyhow...lets turn this around, Tashengurt : what are you expecting to be told during or just post a go-around that will reasure you?

As a starter I'll try and explain very briefly the context.........

Imagine "you are the pilot"......you get down to X feet and the aircraft ahead of you is slow in clearing the run way, so you do a "bog standard" go-around.....

Now actually a "bog Standard" go -around can be quite busy, not just the handling ( e.g. making sure the power is applied, gear/flaps are retracted in the proper sequence, coordination with ATC via the radio, perhaps making a quick fuel plan/decision, setting up for a second approach, etc ....and somewhere in the process the company like you to fit in a brief PA to reassure the passengers. Given workload and above all safety it probably will be brief but honest....as in:

" We were not able to land because the aircraft ahead of us was slow to get airborne/off the runway/ crosswinds out of limits etc....we will make another approach and should be landing in ten minutes.." That really is all there is probably safely time for and even that probably bores the pants off many passengers..

You are simply not going to get a " we got down to 112 feet, the aircraft ahead of us, XYZ 123 was only doing 40 knots and was still short of exit Tango 4 so we selected TOGA, blah blah........I'll give you all an even fuller debrief on landing..." Thta's not due to hding anything, there simply isn't the time, or I suspect, for many the interest.

Moving on you then do your second approach..you land....passengers generally don't want any more PA's and they troop off, paperwork starts on the flightdeck...amongst which this seemingly mythical report many seem to want to read, which reality will probably mirror the captn's PA, as in "aircraft ahead.....", probably one line of A4. It will be read by someone at head office, the flight recorder traces are scanned ( as they always are for for all flights ), and chances are that that is the end of it. Crew go home or do a quick turn for the next sector and the go-around gets pretty much forgotten.

My point is that it reeks of elitism when people prowl forums which are clearly not exclusively aimed at professionals
Well the OP wasn't going to get an answer from a non professsional....and I honestly think most of the pros do try and help, but they have their patience..or would you rather this area was kept spotters only, in which case please can the pros can have the rest of the forum back?

TBH if you think that people here are elitist how many other professions ( financial, medical, legal) have similar forums to this one, ones which allow non professionals to dive in and ask (sadly these days seemingly increasingly demand) that a professional explains in detail what they were doing on a particular day or time, I think we are generally pretty good here, but the "respect" thing does work both ways.

Last edited by wiggy; 16th Mar 2017 at 10:55.