PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A bit of ATC history please
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 04:37
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Hi Dick,

The name of the union of the time was P.R.E.I.A.
Professional Radio Employees' Institute of Australia.
At the time, we were affiliated with the metal trades industry union.

Quote - "Within the Department, P.R.E.I.A. has determination (No. 4/1941) coverage for all radio / electronics Technician and Technical Grades, Flight Service, Communication and Aeronautical Telecommunications Officer Staff."

In my 'introductory' letter, it states that 'This Institute has been registered and active since 1916.....(Yep - 1916).

Alas, I do know the history prior to my joining in Feb 1974 as a 'Trainee' and on a then salary of $4580, awarded from 18.4.74.

An interesting book, "Call Of The Kyeema" by ex FSO, Doug Whitfield,
ISBN 0 9751289 4 9 refers.
It has a wealth of material and is well worth the read for any / all interested aviation persons.

The origins.....As is "usual', it took a tragedy for the necessary changes to occur.....

A DC-2, VH-UYC, and named 'Kyeema' with 14 passengers was en route from Parafield to Essendon and at approx. 2pm on 25th October 1938, they had what is now called a 'CFIT' on Mt Dandenong, some 20nm EAST of Essendon.

The subsequent enquiry in 1938/39 resulted in the formation of the Dept of Civil Aviation (DCA), and subsequently the many 'other' titles under which we were employed, as well as the introduction of Navaids and the Radio Reporting system of the time, 'Aeradio' in conjunction with AWA (Amalgated Radio Aust.), later called 'Flight Service' and then 'modernisation' of the Air Traffic Services system to the present day.

From memory, 'other' titles were, and not necessarily in order, Dept of Transport, DoT (Air Transport Group) (Dept of 'confused arrows'...) Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Airservices Australia (AsA)....

However, for the interested reader, I recommend the above book as it is both interesting reading, and it contains a very good background story.

So, I guess you could say that, like the USA, it took a disaster to get a 'system' which suited the Australia of the time, 'up and running'.

That system was ATC and FS working as a team, with HF being the 'longer range' radio to provide coverage over our sparsely populated continent.

I cannot remember the date of the change from PREIA to the CPSU (Community and Public Sector Union), perhaps others may be able to assist.
Cheers