PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic logbook
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2017, 22:20
jtt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJ2ME
Hi all, just a quick question. Do any of you have any recommendations for a cloud-based logbook app that can be used on a phone, tablet or laptop?
I may look like a spoil-sport and I'm not a (mlitary) pilot but merely a programmer. But the question you should ask yourself is how important are those data to you? If you can say without hesitation that it won't make a lot of a difference to your life if they suddenly disappear don't bother reading any further.

If they are important to you, though, your first concern shouldn't be the shiny interface but the question if you can keep them in a way that doesn't depend on the continued existence of the company storing them for you. Companies have gone out of business all the time. And if the company you trust your data with uses another company for storing them and that company folds, they may very easily also be toast. So, is there a plan B for that? Can you retain all those data in a place you can control and in a format you can read once they've vanished without prior notice? Or, for short: if you can't make a local backup of your data that you can use once they've vanished from the internet better stay away from them, no matter how nice and professional their user interface looks like. When the proverbial sh*t hits the fan there will be no user interface left and the only question then will be if you've retained a backup of your data that you still can use.