PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So WestJet almost puts one of their 737 in the water while landing at St-Maarten...
Old 15th Mar 2017, 21:02
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the sake of the argument, yes they did what they're supposed to, i.e. go around,

Given that, I presume, they had 500' set in Baro and that there would have been GPWS call out at +100 & minimums, I wonder what caused them to make a GA so low? If they went below MDA, that's one thing. An altimeter mis-setting might be 150'; that still leaves them 350' above the waves, but as someone said the error would likely put them high. So what instigated the GA? Some guys say they did what they should have, correctly; therefore there is no case to answer. Hm? They should have done it much earlier!
So what else happened? They sure as heck didn't bust out at minimums, see the water so close and think this was not a good idea and then GA. Something happened between the Baro call out of "minimums" and the decision to GA. From the photo that seemed to be quite a longtime. Meanwhile the RA was reading very low. How do WJ fly an NPA? Was PM looking for the runway and PF inside? Were they flying manually and both pilots looking outside wth no-one 'managing the office'? Were they in V/S & automatics with both pilots looking outside?
In most of my Ops PF looks inside & PM looks outside nearing minimums. At minimums if PM does not see the visual reference and call visual PF makes a GA: never looks outside. No hesitation. Both pilots scratching around at minima, both looking outside, no-one managing the office, manual flight or V/S, going pass "minimums not visual" recipe for...............