PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So WestJet almost puts one of their 737 in the water while landing at St-Maarten...
Old 15th Mar 2017, 16:12
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian W
Airbubba

That would put the aircraft 180ft lower than the 500ft MDH so 320ft. Is that enough error to show in that picture?

Note: The number of altimeter setting errors reported to ASRS is extremely high.
If they forgot to set the local altimeter and left things at 1013 hPa, wouldn't they actually be higher than the 500 feet indicated baro altitude?

Those low transition levels (FL 65 in this case) are spring loaded to mess up. I've sure made the mistake myself but had the luxury of catching it on an ILS crossing altitude.

Originally Posted by ACMS
Was there a Windshear event? Microburst event?

Wait for the FDR amd official report
There may never be an official report is my guess. Is there some official Canada government site that might list this as an incident to be investigated? Or, will the Dutch authorities possibly take a look?

Originally Posted by RAT 5
So, you would indeed go missed at the D2.0 [MA10] point on a CDA before reaching 500 feet.

Interesting. Because all CDA SOP's I've used are to GA at MDA if no contact. In Europe I've not come across this situation where 'M' is reached before MDA.
I agree that it looks odd, am I perhaps misreading that chart? Also, somebody check my math(s) on the D2.0 crossing height for a 2.98 degree path. I figured 1.9 nm equals 11,545 feet multiplied by the tangent of 2.98 degrees gives 601 feet of altitude change plus 64 feet for the 50 foot TCH on the chart. In the past, non-precision approach calculations did not include the TCH in some cases and you had to manually add it to the FMS to get a good advisory descent path.

Also, on a non-precision approach, even if a nice path is depicted in the FMS, it doesn't guarantee that path will continue to the touchdown zone in my experience. Years ago the LOC Rwy 27 at SAN (San Diego, California for that feller who couldn't figure out how to Google 'prosumer' ) had a nice path in the box to the runway threshold but since the actual touchdown zone was displaced, you had to add power and level off momentarily to get on the PAPI's for the rest of the descent.