PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So WestJet almost puts one of their 737 in the water while landing at St-Maarten...
Old 15th Mar 2017, 11:49
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, you would indeed go missed at the D2.0 [MA10] point on a CDA before reaching 500 feet.

Interesting. Because all CDA SOP's I've used are to GA at MDA if no contact. In Europe I've not come across this situation where 'M' is reached before MDA. From passed Ops 'M' was the decision point on a Dive & Drive. True about Cat C for B737/8. If you didn't use 500' MDA you would be in real trouble at 'M'. If the vis was only 3500m. i.e. coordinated with 500' & 1.9nm you would be very high if stopping at 770' and unstable to land.
The comment about the RA shouting at the crew about their true height is valid. I wonder if Westjet set MAA after leaving platform alt, or set 500' on MCP. If the latter the A/P or FD would level off. If MAA was set then the "+100" or "approaching minimums" & "minimums" would also shout at the crew. They would be looking out of the window. I wonder if much earlier they had been sucked into "sea contact" vertically, i.e. knowing there was nothing to hit except a ship's mast. Were they manual or A/P CMD?
Back to my earlier question: I would be interested to know what they did differently the 2nd time.
Regarding the 'photo shopping' of the first photo; why would she? Why take the 1st & 2nd photos, doctor the 1st, publish them with accusations and set of a manure storm that can easily be answered by the Canadian CAA. They have the crew and technicians to solve that problem should it be true. After all, they did make a GA.