PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eye excerises
Thread: Eye excerises
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2003, 22:20
MidnightSpecial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krally, Typhoonpilot is wrong. Orthokeratology is for nearsightnedness otherwise known as mypoia. That is what I had.

I was 20/700 and improved to 20/70 uncorrected. I was 20/20 while corrected. I was an unusual patient in that I improved so much. My doctor wrote an article on me and other patients of his and gave a lecture on us at UC San Francisco.

Radial keratotomy is more popular than ortho-K but has an inherant risk of destroying your flying career if the surgeon screws up. The flight surgeon for my airline does not recommend radial keratotomy for this reason.

Try the eye exercises. Your eye muscles are just like the other muscles in your body. Conditioning helps.

I don't know the names of these exercises but I use a 'flipper' for 3 minutes while I read. I look through one set of lenses for a sentence then flip over to lenses of a different strengh and the eyes have to adjust. Then I look through 2 smiley faces drawn on clear plastic for 1 minute with a near focus and 1 minute with a distant focus.

The initial exercises were more involved. They took longer and were a bit of work but the payoff had been wonderful.

I like greasing landings in my DC-10.

MS