PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ST Aviation Academy to train Qatar Airways MPL cadet pilots
Old 15th Mar 2017, 09:16
1stofficerkyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all of you aspiring cadet, I was once in the hopes of making it thru this program. I passed both interviews and aced the aptitude test. However, a week before the start of my course, I had to pull out due to my personal financial issues at that time. My dream to be an airline pilot is still alive and in the process of manifesting. However I would like to enlighten you folks with some of the lessons I learnt.

I have some friends who are cadets at STAA and some of whom are pilots at QA. These are their accounts. Do not apply for this program unless u have $250,000++ as loose change lying around. It is not worth the risk. Do not leave your financial dependency to a bank. STAA is an okay school. I have not heard anything negative about them and from my experience alone I can affirm that they are a very well established school. You will have a great time at school. The problem comes after you are employed. (Provided you do not underperform at any point in time during the training)

QA has a very strict policy when it comes to the performance of its pilots. Remember this is a very physically taxing job. Any mistake will lead to immediate termination and deportation from the country. I have known of 5 pilots (Most of whom are STAA cadet) who have been fired and deported from Qatar and these are their stories.

One Muslim pilot was standing on the street with his Girlfriend. His hands were around her waist. It so happened that the religious police came by to the spot. They asked him for his details, next day called up for investigation, the next day deported to Singapore.

One pilot forgot to flare right before landing. I am unsure whether he forgot or didn't flare enough but it caused structural damage to the aircraft and recorded 2.5Gs. Captain demoted, pilot fired and deported.

Another pilot forgot to retract the flaps after taking off prompting a level 3 warning. After landing investigation was conducted, the next day fired and deported.

Another pilot didn't configure his aircraft before landing in time and had to initiate a go around. He was cited to not be situationally aware and was fired.

One pilot didn't gel up his hair. Cited to have improper turnout when reporting to work. And he got fired. For such a minute reason.

AS this is an MPL program, all of these guys are currently without a job and a 250K loan on their heads.

Guys my intention is not to demotivate you or discourage you form applying into this. My intention is to share with you what you may not know and give you a realistic idea of what life maybe after landing your "Dream job" If you want to apply for this program, make sure you have $250,000 ++ as spare change. Do not go through with this leaving your financial dependency on a bank. Look at yourself and your family, evaluate the risks before jumping on board for the sake of "passion". It is not worth to take a full loan for this. If you have a very rich dad, go for it. Or if you have an unwavering belief that you will not end up like the men above, go for it. Do not kill your finances for an MPL program.

I wish each and everyone of you the very best in your future careers.