PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA CFI and future plans
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2017, 07:55
pponte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the statement of "B2N2" that one can't work for a US Regional with an F1 visa. As a non US-citizen being issued the respective visa to work as a CFI (flight instructor) you can only work as such and only for the respective flight school.
This is absolutelly not true. You can work on campus for up to one year, then be issued a cpt for up to 11 months which allows you to work at the school or for another school and thereafter an opt where you can work wherever, charter part 135 or regionals.

US regionals require at least 1,000 hours (with a suitable bachelor's degree). No US airline will hire you on an OPT to fly a CRJ "for a few months". There must be more to the story there.
It's not the regionals that require this. This is mandated by the FAA.
It's important that people don't get misinformed in this forum.

There are different regionals that require a green card, others only that you are entitled to work in the US. Donmt forget about charter operation companies under part 135.
You can work with an opt for any of these.
There have been cases of regionals sponsoring pilots after the opt expires.
This however is hear-say and one should not rely on this is if they depend on the jet experience to move forward.

Regarding the pilot jobs abroad (middle and far east) they're usually looking for highly experienced pilots with a couple of thousand hours on commercial airplanes like Boeing or Airbus, they aren't looking for rookie pilots, and if so they usually give preference to their own fellow countryman - like any other country does (in case of the thread starter this would be Italy/EU).
True but not the full story.
As you mentioned, they usually give preference to nationals and more experienced pilots. However they have twin turboprop planes also and cadet programmes and second officer direct entries.
Some accept from 400+TT. Susiair even accepts 250+ and they hire frequently.

The secret in aviation is to not stop flying otherwise you only have a very expensive piece of paper stowed away without any proficiency or currency when you get the call.
Will a 1500h pilot current single piston have more chances than a 250h fresh graduate who haven't flown for a year? I'll leave you guys to answer that but I know who they'd pick. Will it beat the jet requirement time? Hell no but not all companies ask for jet time.

This is just my 5 cents..as I'm struggling with similar decisions at the moment, US and Canada seem like a good option, converting to EASA also but all options have pros and cons.
There are plenty of people with a licence in Europe for the limited number of jobs so if you don't have any reference, your chances are dimm..