PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2017, 02:34
bannercounty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they (Shannon Group) put half the effort into route development as they do into property development/ management then perhaps we would have more positive than negative news. In saying that I never expected Kuwait to stay short term. Too many awards being handed out patting each other on the back for "Best Airport with cleanest toilet" awards thinking that's what keeps an airport ticking over. So much complacency down there it's unbelievable which has always been hereditary.
Sickens me and my employees having to drive to Dublin week in week out seeing the same Clare, Limerick and Galway folks boarding flights on a regular basis with an airport on our doorstep.

Wonder when the next upgrade in the departures lounge is going to happen as there always seems to be some so called "improved" customer experience construction/ refurbishment every few months which does not in anyway seem necessary and monies used could be used elsewhere on asking customers what they want rather than predefined questions about "experiences" and "where are you flying from SNN today"- data they already have!!!!. Many many times I have asked for my final destination to be included and also how many times I fly from another Irish airport, the reasons why, where, frequency and preferred timings. They have enough staff that could digest this information and conclude with a formidable analysis presentable to airlines. Anna Aero reported that 30k looked at SNN- AMS in 2015 so it should be at least an EMB175 route 3 times a week seen as AMS is a passenger friendly transit airport and based on those who did use SNN-CDG on AF who now head via DUB.
Always remember the Skynet flights where loads were not great to Moscow on the continuation with 80% getting off in AMS.

I feel difficult times are ahead for the airport in the medium & long term term especially on the Transatlantic be it aging 757's, Norwegian to non connecting friendly airports which could and possibly will damage the legacy carriers. Short flights apart from Stobart routes are being reduced and eliminated which does not inconvenience the "tourist traveller" as much as the "frequent" traveller. You can put up with longer stays at a transit airport such as Stansted using a lounge and doing a bit of work but when the transit ends up being 5/6/7/8/9/10+ hours then the only option is to head East up the motorway. Timings with Gatwick are now for tourists or those weekending in the West of Ireland or London only.

I have taken close on 12 departures from Ireland this year with 4 from SNN to USA and LHR with the balance to Dublin and thankfully my next one is Tuesday from SNN on UA.

As a foot note price is not the ultimate factor and should not be used to discourage airlines from using SNN as most of the time myself or my guys would spend a bit on fuel, staying in the Radisson at DUB etc. I'd prefer my gang to be home with their family and stress free rather than having a DUB slog.

Rant over.