PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Movers v Loadies (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2003, 20:50
Muppet Leader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard a rumour.
About 2/3 months back apparently, all ALM course members were informed that the Ministry of Defence would no longer designate them as `loadmasters` but some other generic name. The `new` name being a more generic type. The reason apparently is to allow for flexibility in allocating personnel to various aircrew functions. They are to say the least peed-off big time although they will retain Sgt rank and actually slightly higher pay as a result, they feel the badge is downgraded.

From 1st Apr 2003, RAF 'Airmen (Aircrew)' became known as 'Non-Commissioned Aircrew'. The new branch of Weapon Systems Operator (WSOp) replaced all four trades (Air Electronics Operator, Air Engineer, Air Signaller and Air Loadmaster) and new graduates will be awarded a new 'Rear Crew' brevet. Air Electronics Officers and Navigators will now be known as Weapon System Officers (WSOs).

http://www.airmenaircrew.freeserve.c...e/nca_home.htm

What about the other new one, WSOb (Warming Systems Oven and Brew).

There is a difference from base movements to down route, or mobile movements.

C130.
Who plans the load?
Who builds the pallets?
Who loads the pallets?
Who loads the backbreaking 6-hour flat floor load?
Who trims the aircraft?
Who hands the completed airframe over, for someone in a growbag to say “Ooooh thank you. And by the way could you lash my suitcase down on the ramp, as I’ve got new gloves and I mustn’t get them dirty”.

And then you get down-route.

Who unloads the aircraft?
Who completes a role change from flat floor to 17c / 17f (and vice versa)
Who loads the aircraft?
And then gets the aircraft back in the air again in three hours (with a six man team –Officer, Sgt, Cpl and three airmen)?
Showing my age now, talking about BFPO666 in the early eighties.

Who manages an ERO of 42 tons of grain in Ethiopia, and gets a rubber-to-rubber time of 14 minutes?

Who wins ERO competitions for a vehicle and two trailers, in the States two years running (although gets disqualified for cheating 1st year) then competes in the assault course with the Regiment?

Now change aircraft type . . . . . . . .
VC10
Who kindly loads all the crew bags and their DFs after loading a full vent bag load in 120-degree heat? (And don’t mind too much that the cup of luke warm water offered by the Steward has got things floating in it, like dead sheep and canoeists!)(Where did the loadie get to?)

Who gets back to the hotel 7 hours after the front-end chaps, to find out that the Co left the imprest in the hotel safe 2500 miles away?
Who sorts it out by sweet-talking the local Embassy staff?

Now change aircraft type. . . . . . .
L1011
CH47
Puma
Belfast
C17

And so the story carries on.