PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISLE OF MAN
Thread: ISLE OF MAN
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2017, 09:31
virginblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01475
The lessons I take from this are:

- There are a number of routes and airports in the British Isles that could be served by a respectable operator of small planes
Exactly and that is why reproduction of, otherwise soon to become extinct, such types as DHC6, Do228 and Do328 have recommenced.
Have you read his complete post? 01475 has eloquently explained why this is not the case and wil not happen.

The routes were served in that unusual set-up for some reason. The outcry here about the fares Eastern dares to charge is testament to the fact that punters are no longer willing to pay fares for regional air services that are needed to make them viable for a respectable operator.

BHD and NCL offered by T3. NCL at much increased frequencies.
CWL-VLY offered by T3.
Served by Eastern at fares that - and I quote Joe Public/PPRUNE - amount to extortion. Plus both routes served with the wrong frequency/capacity. Too much NCL and too little BHD. NCL was always the least important route in Citywing's network and T3 is now effectively doubling capacity by operating a 29seater at a higher frequency.

GLA could be done by Loganair Twotters if they have any gaps in their schedule.
Is Loganair at liberty to operate the government-owned Twin Otters for commercial, non-PSO flying? You will be aware of the fact that the Twin Otters no longer have an airline livery, but fly the Saltire.

As for the rest of Citywing's destinations, BLK and GLO are probably dispensable. easyjet could add one or two frequencies to BRS to make it 3/7 or 4/7. Or bmi regional could o a quick run during the day when their ERJ sit idle on the ground at BRS. My prediction is that NCL will be gone soon and that means also BHD by T3. BHD is the real challenge as it is the only Citywing destination that probably is a "must" for IOM.

Last edited by virginblue; 14th Mar 2017 at 10:49.