PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Spin Safety
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2017, 22:41
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know we are talking about spinning but the point I was trying to make was I believe a better exercise is stalling in the landing configuration than full spin recovery training. That is with flaps down and 1500 rpm and just let the speed bleed off a 150/2 will abruptly drop the starboard wing and try to enter a spin so how to correct and recover is very important as this is the classic stall spin on turning finals especially in a left hand turn. At no time did we enter an actual spin, I just screwed up the recovery the first time, lost 1500ft that would have put me 1000ft below ground level if turning on to finals. Only lost 300ft second time. The recovery from this configuration stall has to be quick and instinctive, if you have to think about it your dead. In a 172 with a rear C of G it might be even more exciting and none recoverable. I think it is a more important exercise than full spin recovery training. It made a lasting impression on me so I all ways add a little air speed in the turns 5 knots and I watch speed in turns especially when a passenger as I note many pilots seem to bleed speed in turns at low power. Killed a friend who attempted a return to field after a takeoff engine failure stalled in from 100ft in the final turn.

Last edited by horizon flyer; 16th Mar 2017 at 13:08.