PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying through a NOTAM'd display area
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2017, 17:56
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Chevvron, I'm very aware of the true reason for the "limited" prefix. I sometimes try to guess "the theme of the day".

The Ancient Geek, you obviously missed the first part of my statement where I said that lookout remains paramount. It would be more correct if you said that TCAS "might" give a dangerous false sense of security. However, when used correctly, it definitely enhances lookout, just as an ATC traffic service can, "limited" or otherwise. A trap for the unwary is to over-concentrate on trying to visually acquire something the TCAS has displayed, at the expense of maintaining a full lookout scan for other, non-displaying contacts.

But the same goes for a radar service whilst flying in Class G, or any other airspace for that matter. I don't know what your experience of the use of TCAS actually is, but from almost two decades of single pilot ops flying with it, mainly flown in Class G and the previous two decades plus flying without it, I have learned to use it properly and I wouldn't want to be without it, given the choice. Many who think the human eye alone is better obviously don't have much practical experience of the use of the equipment, or haven't understood how to use it.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 13th Mar 2017 at 18:16.