PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gan 1958 and Later
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2017, 13:41
Matt Skrossa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately due to a couple of reasons (too young and joined the FAA) I never visited Gan when it was active, however, I have enjoyed two holidays at Equator Village, the holiday resort that uses a lot of the old RAF buildings. There are still reminders of the RAF though, firstly the Astra Cinema is still there and even though it's over 40 years since the RAF were there, the kerbstones in Equator Village are still being painted black and white! Not the best resort in the Maldives, but certainly a lot cheaper and when I was last there what was the Officers' Mess was also being converted into a holiday resort. It was also quite nice to see a standard RAF tower basking in the equatorial sunshine.

Were there ever any 'birdstrikes' with the fruit bats as they fly day and night and one of them down the engine, or in the prop would have been pretty exciting?

There are still locals who worked with the RAF, including some working the tourists dhonis and I know a lot of ex Gan personnel have been to this resort for reunions.