PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So WestJet almost puts one of their 737 in the water while landing at St-Maarten...
Old 13th Mar 2017, 12:02
T28B
Administrator

Received 287 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
OK, so they were a tad low (for reasons unknown to us). They did the right thing and went around for another go. They were never close to crashing.
Further up thread, someone (apparently a non aviator) suggested:
Rather than blame the pilots I prefer to give them a “great save”.
I'd downgrade somewhat that to "wave off a bad approach is what we are supposed to do."

The point being made by some of the aviators in this discussion is the criticality of precision flying in close/stable approach, etc. With souls on board, it's a worthy standard to aspire to ... and "do the right thing" and wave off when one misses the mark.

If the witness named Trevor is to be believed:
American Flight 2219, a Boeing 737 from Miami had just landed before Westjet and reported to the Tower that they only picked up the field at the last minute (I presume that meant before they decided to go around). The Westjet approach was next and lets be clear, ATC did not advise them to go around, it was the pilots decision. ATC did comment that the decision to go around was very late – Westjet did not respond – ATC advised them to climb to 4000 feet and hold at Ivaci – the airport was then closed to arrivals and departures. About 20 minutes into the hold, Westjet was informed that the visibility on approach had improved from 11/2 miles to 2 miles and asked if he wanted the approach. He declined, indicated he had plenty of fuel to hold and would wait for further improvement. KLM Flight 729 then arrived, an Airbus A330 and was told to enter the hold. He indicated he did not have sufficient fuel to hold and wanted to try the approach – ATC complied with his wish and he landed safely – he reported that he picked up the field at 3 miles. Westjet then decided to make the second approach and it was flawless.
I have a few thoughts on what may have happened on the initial approach, but for the moment will put them in a holding pattern, awaiting improved visibility.