PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 12th Mar 2017, 20:17
sika hulmuta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's put the liftoff "error" to bed now. This one is very simple. The runway is, to use an understatement, not the most even, indeed last time I took off from there in a Hunter I thought I would need a dental appointment after the flight!

Standard technique is to lift the nose wheel off the ground about 110-120kts, check and then she will fly airborne when ready. Watch the numerous formation takeoffs on YouTube and enjoy.The Hunter doesn't do V1, Rotate, V2, yet amazingly it still flies!

The report accurately says he commenced rotation at 112 kts (I consider that a normal speed) , not liftoff. Liftoff would have occurred 10 or so seconds later about 135 kts. Any over rotation due to bumps would need to be corrected.

No amazing proof of incompetence or a gash approach here. Quite the opposite as getting the nose wheel off the ground as soon as possible would reduce vibrations and aid reading instruments!