PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2017, 17:46
oldandbald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan-Air Comet

Like Vintage ATCO (Vintage as well!) I cannot put a date on the Comet incident. However if my memory serves me correct it was ‘DD which subsequently managed an overrun at Newcastle. I did however have the interesting task of assisting the Airport Director’s secretary (Gloria) in transcribing the R/T from the reel to reel tape. Director then was C.K. Cole ‘64-’70 and his office was in the corner of the Terminal. Anyway the transcript was interesting as the language from the Captain was quite choice. When instructed to 180 and backtrack there was an immediate response of “I’m off the ***** end and I’m **** sinking “etc. Embarrassment by me “the junior” and Gloria as how to type this out. Just after the incident I was Tower controller and whilst efforts were made to remove the Comet we were given the OK to depart traffic from 08 away from the Comet. However as I departed a Monarch Brit. close to the site one of the inflatable bags being used that had been sent up from Heathrow deflated and they had to start again. I too would be interested to know the date.

Last edited by oldandbald; 12th Mar 2017 at 18:00.