PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gan 1958 and Later
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:38
ICM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warmtoast has provided a remarkable record of Gan's early days as a RAF station. With no wish to stop future contributions, I hope I can be permitted a brief description of its closure, based on a note I have from the late Wg Cdr Tony Richards OBE, who was OC 10 Squadron at the time and Captain of the final flight ASCOT 2274. The flight (VC 10 XR 806) landed at Gan from Bahrain on 27 March 1976 to fly out the following day with around half of the Station strength. The remainder were to embark on RFA Sir Percival. There was a final BBQ that evening, the Atoll Chief was given a tour of the aircraft next morning, crew members were garlanded with floral leis before starting the checks, closing the door, taking-off and heading north. Three people stayed behind - a young civilian doctor and his wife, who had moved into the Station Commander's house, and a retired Chief Tech who was going to keep comms going for some 6 hours after 806's departure. I understand that the closure was codenamed Op JETTISON.