PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2017, 04:15
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sherlock Danny gets magifying glass out .............
Opinion: It is a RAAF specimen - "NH" was 12 Sqn, I think. Also big centre white in SEAC roundel is evidence. At first thought no rear armament visible, but careful examination shows tiny tip of what can only be a 0.303 Browning. Ergo a Mk.I (Not Lend-Lease, but bought by British wingeing Poms and given to Oz !), certainly not a Mk.IV.
Chugalug will note that there is clearly only one aerial wire between mast and tail.
Obviously wartime, good shot of the steadying clamps on the wing rack which carried a 250lb bomb.
Thanks, MPN11 and Blacksheep ! (and Chugalug - the canaries were sweet !)
Danny.

Hi Danny,
Yes A27-207 was 12 SQN.
But, it's a Vengeance IIA (ex AF941), so you are correct, it is not a Mk.IV.
And, purchased through the British Purchasing Commission at the cost to the Austn Govt, contract no. AC24664/BRA-557, received in Australia in early 1943. So not paid for by wingeing poms, but by the Aussie taxpayer - which is the way it should have been.

And, it is not a SEAC roundel - often mistaken. It was an RAAF 'Pacific roundel', i.e. no red in the centre to avoid confusion with the Japanese red 'meatball', which had happened the previous year with a RAAF Catalina being fired upon by a friendly. (I think we had discussed the Pacific roundel when talking about EZ999, the Mk.I at Camden.)

In 1944, lost on ops when the engine failed and ditched, crew ok. A/c was SOC.

Last edited by BBadanov; 12th Mar 2017 at 04:38.