PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 11th Mar 2017, 15:39
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uplinker...

Some really good points and good questions. i touched on the issue of self briefing or mental preparation. I think or suspect the flaw with single crew display flying is probably the lack of briefing. If this does not already happen, perhaps it should be mandated that the display pilot runs through his 'gameplan' in the form of a briefing with another appropriate (mentor)display pilot (qualified on type). That way potential hazzards, airspace issues, weather could be raised. This could be done by telephone or Skpe.

In the case of AH he could have easily run through his briefing with say the othe Hunter display pilot CH (assuming he did not). as you say briefings usually flag up issues, speeds, airspace, weather, familiarisation with the airfield, defects, fuel and mass.

However having said that, in training pilots in the past particularly inrespect of single crew IFR operations, while I expect pilots to give me a depature brief and arrival brief, I have always suggested pilots flying as single crew read out the the arrival or departure briefing to themselves as it reinforces in their mind the gameplan. This works in the same way as reading back a clearence helps us remember, if we have not written it down. So readbacks is not only to confirm we understand ATC instructions but reinforces the instruction.