PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 11th Mar 2017, 14:56
Uplinker

Received 118 Likes on 74 Posts
I am curious to know about the preflight briefing procedure for fast jets and aerobatic display flying.

I imagine that in the RAF, at least two pilots - the lead and their wingman - will brief a sortie together. If two-seat fast jets are involved, there will be two Navs as well, and of course there will be operations and maintenance departments to assist.

I imagine that the Red Arrows for example will all brief as a full team, and discuss every aspect of the display together.

In the airline world, both pilots (or three if heavy crew) will brief together, both in the flight planning room and also on the aircraft

So what happens with the single pilot fast veteran-jet display? I imagine a G/A airfield with a clubhouse and a briefing/MET office* Other pilots are Cessna 172 or Warrior pilots*
So is there anybody to discuss with and check the flight plan, the aerobatic plan; the display content: the gates, altitudes and speeds to be used; how success will be defined and measured; and what the escape manouvers will be if a problem occurs?

What I am driving at is that in the RAF, the Red Arrows, (and commercial airline flying), there is more than one pilot with the same licence involved in the brief, and the sortie/flight is discussed between them. The weather conditions, the flight route, the flight time, the mission, the fuel load, the contingencies etc. Each pilot will be involved and usually each pilot will point things out to the other, leading to descisions being agreed between more than one pilot. Additionally, the process of briefing display entry altitudes and speeds etc to another pilot must mean they have to be thought about carefully because any mistakes, errors or omissions will be called out by the other pilot(s).

I am very happy to be educated on the process of single pilot display briefing.

*(absolutely no offence intended)