PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2017, 12:28
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't know about the cadet numbers. My figures are more to do with direct entry applications.

Originally Posted by FogBuster
Honestly Keg, I wonder which side you're on half the time.
I've no idea what this is supposed to mean?!?

I'm on the side of wanting the best applicants to get the job. Having done pilot assessment I can categorically tell you that the sex of the person sitting across from me has zero bearing on the assessment of them. In the specific circumstances of the cadet numbers, maybe the girls prepped harder*. Maybe they didn't assume the selection was a box ticking exercise. Maybe they were just better on the day. Maybe the crap that gets handed to them on occasion by idiots in the industry mean they've got to perform better than the guys. Perhaps it's a function that only highly skilled females applied to become cadets and therefore they're not a typical applicant data set.

AIPA has no role in the selection of pilots. They've got no say in who Qantas employs. Im not sure they can't stamp their feet up and down about anything in this area.

A number of very clever, very smart crew (way smarter than me) continue to provide feedback into the HR process to ensure that it's as robust as possible and we are getting the right candidates. It's not going to be perfect and sometimes suitable candidates miss out (either by misfortune or not being competitive); or sometimes the system will not pick up somone who should have been excluded and they'll get an offer. Either way, those flight crew in a position to influence and improve the process are providing the feedback.

*i haven't done an assessment centre for a while but the anecedota feedback is this lack of prep could be an emerging theme. My advice to an applicant is to do your homework. On the airline, your future role, and how you'll fit into it, and most importantly, yourself. Know who you are, what you can offer and have examples that back that home.