PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2017, 12:05
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, if I may attempt to summarise the last couple of pages of posts...

Women have been doing some pretty amazing flights since...fairly soon after the dawn of aviation. Some are still doing so today. Others are just flying. There seem to be fewer of them doing so than is the case for men, either because they don't want to, or they think they can't, or a combination of the two. But it's not a big deal. Men have done the same kind of things, and aren't mentioned, so why should we mention the women? After all, flying doesn't require great physical strength or use of any particular anatomical appendages. It's just another skill, which almost anyone can acquire if they have a modicum of intelligence, coordination, and determination (and money of course).

That being so, what on earth was all the fuss about TCT in the first place? Why is all that fuss continuing now? She's a silly little girl (I'm being polite) who tried to make out she was doing something extraordinary - and even if she'd done it all solo it wouldn't have been that special, never mind now. As for what she has or hasn't done for the cause of women in aviation, is this even a 'cause', well into the 21st century? I don't think so.

That being the case, it would be nice if all references to her on Wikipedia, Facebook, and everywhere else were removed. I wish they could be. She's a big yawn, and a waste of space. And I know I speak for a lot of other pilots, male and female, in saying this.

I was going to include PPRuNe in the above list. I probably should. But dammit, I do rather enjoy reading this increasingly pointless thread!