PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 11th Mar 2017, 10:18
terry holloway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemain
terry holloway -- The AAIB report is inconclusive. Loads of very experienced fast jet pilots have put forward suggestions as to what caused the incident. If there was just one cause? Usually accidents (road, rail, air, sea) are a combination; a sequence of events. But not always. Accident investigators don't necessarily find all the sequential causes. For example, hiring the wrong pilot might be the first 'error' or contributory factor. Putting the wrong oil in a gear train might be the next...and often more factors like an alarm clock failing to wake early enough, leaving the pilot stressed.

Totting up the views expressed here on this thread we seem to have 2/3 majority who think this was pilot error. The majority is very possibly right. But it's by no means "beyond all reasonable doubt".

To blacken the name of the pilot - to himself, his friends and family - after an inconclusive report (medicals seem to have been under-investigated or at least under-reported) by implying the pilot did this for his own benefit and ego seems to me like a judgement based on fancy rather than fact.
At the end of the day, the various musings on this thread, which have seemingly already sadly caused disagreements between old friends/colleagues are largely irrelevant, and will probably not influence a decision to prosecute him. As to his reputation, the AAIB and media reports about "too low and too slow" have already damned him in the public eye.
I would be very surprised if there there is anyone on this thread who does not feel a great deal of sympathy for the predicament AH finds himself in. I certainly "feel very sorry for him".

Last edited by terry holloway; 11th Mar 2017 at 13:05. Reason: spelling!