PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying through a NOTAM'd display area
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2017, 08:59
gedney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkyt
What is the point of view from users here about flying in Class G airspace close to busy airfields without speaking to any one of a number of ATC units?
Quite apart from the question of the NOTAM, I don't believe that it's a great idea to operate 'near' any aviation facility without talking to them, be that an international airport or a grass strip. That said, there is a possibility that previous experience might have lead the pilot of this aircraft 'not to bother'.

As an example, a few weeks ago I was flying north to south just over the top of the MATZ of an active training airfield not a million miles away from the one at which I imagine you might be stationed. It was a CAT flight, not GA, but my point remains. I called up their zone frequency as I considered my proximity to them might be of interest to their locally-based aircraft and I would have appreciated any pertinent traffic information from them. The controller was openly dismissive of my call, told me that his wasn't a LARS station and that I should leave the frequency! Having just changed from the mil unit that provides LARS in that area and one from which I was becoming increasingly distant, I didn't go back to them as I didn't want or need to use LARS. So I continued on my way, temporarily talking to nobody, listening to what I considered to be the relevant frequency and relying on TCAS and good lookout!

I'm not bashing the military because a) I served for 24 years and wouldn't do that, and b) there are still some excellent mil controllers out there. That said, towards the end of my time in the mil and definitely since leaving I have noticed a big difference in the quality of service that is received from a growingly large number of mil controllers. Oh, and there are impatient civ controllers of course.

I'm old enough and bold enough to shake off experiences like that and move on but bear in mind that several GA pilots are seemingly under-confident on the radio and given that they are paying a lot for what is supposed to be a pleasurable experience it wouldn't be surprising if some decide to cut out the stress and don't bother talking 'unnecessarily' when in Class G.

Disappointing if the NOTAM was not heeded though......