PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Still In Production After 60 Years.
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2017, 08:20
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A254 cu in (4.2 L) version of the L-6 (designated the M-series orRouge 254) was used from 1948 to 1953 in F6-seriesFord trucks (COE, Dump, semi-, etc.), and small Ford school buses. The M-seriesengine produced 115 hp (86 kW) and 212 lb·ft (287 N·m). oftorque. They were also used in miscellaneous industrial applications. e.g., topower water pumps for irrigation purposes and within wine-producing farms tomanage risk by powering giant frost-control propellers on stands in the middleof rows of grapes.
The Barra 195 is the last version of the naturally aspirated I6 engineand is in the Ford FG Falcon sedan and ute (the BF Falcon MkIIIwagon and Ford Territory SY and SY II SUV and Territory SZ RWD Petrol use theBarra 190 engine). Modifications made to the engine include a revised plasticinlet manifold on naturally aspirated models and new cylinder head, whichachieved minor power and economy improvements over the Barra 190.
Power:195 kW (261 hp) @ 6000 rpm
Torque:391 N·m (288 lb·ft) @ 3250 rpm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are"engine" figures!

If we runthe Barra 195 @ 75% of the 1948 254 cu in engine, I will bet the Barra will beusing much more than 70% less of the 254. At a guess only I would happily say1/2 the fuel.

So an IO-360of old at same trend of auto needing 160 hp, could be smaller, thus lighter andthat also reduces required hp. You would be looking at an engine of about 190cubic inches (maybe a 2 cylinder) for same fuel burn or better.

Horse power = Fuel

Engine efficiencyreduces fuel burn for a given horse power, but generally fuel burn is kept thesame to have a greater horsepower available.