PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can a 2 engines plane takeoff at MTOW when 1 engine quits,or only at lower weight?
Old 11th Mar 2017, 08:02
MaverickSu35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a 2 engines plane takeoff at MTOW when 1 engine quits,or only at lower weight?

Hi,

I can't seem to find a certain answer on the internet, so I dare putting this important question here?

For example, are the 2 engine planes MTOW (maximum takeoff weight) defined or calculated as to allow the planes to safely climb out from a very long runway with no obstacles ahead (which allows for the highest MTOW) when one engine quits? Or are there other design limitation which won't recommend a weight higher than MTOW, such as the maximum weight which the landing gear can carry, regardless of being able to takeoff with an engine loss? I personally believe that the highest MTOW should not be higher than it could allow any commercial aircraft to takeoff and safely climb out (at a much lower vertical speed rate though) in one engine, for aircraft with 2 engines as example.

Wikipedia says just that about the MTOW, but other sources say differently, telling that an aircraft with 2 engines may not safely climb out at MTOW if one engine quits, thus the weight must be limited below MTOW, so I still find this general rule unclear. I think that the PART 25 (or JAR 25) regulates the maximum allowable takeoff weight for any aircraft taking into account the remaining thrust available when 1 or more engines fail in order to still have the aircraft safely climbing out with the highest possible MTOW.

For example, can an MD-82 safely climb out when loaded at 149500lbs (the MD-82's highest MTOW) if one engine fails well above V1, let's say, exactly when the pilot starts pulling for takeoff, or they must do whatever possible to reject the takeoff and stop it even with the consequence of hitting ILS poles, etc. (which would be much better than taking off and crashing anyway)? In this kind of circumstance, if I were to choose between continuing to try and lift it off the ground (there is no turning back from this point, so If I made a terrible mistake, I'm done...) or doing whatever possible to brake it even if I have to make an off-runway excursion and having to chose on what obstacles I should hit if obstacles are unavoidable, I'd rather choose this, for there will be much higher chances of surviving rather than daring to takeoff and finding out that the speed will only keep on dropping after liftoff even with one engine screaming at max. RPM and even if I'll try to retract the flaps (but keep the slats out) and fly leveled in order to reduce the drag, the speed would still drop..., that would mean the end!

So, I wonder if the MD-82 for example, with it's tiny JT-8D 217C engines with 21000lbf (maximum for 5 minutes) each would be capable of safely climbing out when loaded at highest MTOW if one engine stops?

Thank you.

Last edited by MaverickSu35S; 11th Mar 2017 at 10:50.