PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Airshow 3-5 March 2017
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2017, 04:17
flopzone

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Down and Welded
My 4th and last Avalon. Why? Because it's too much of the same (display-wise) and because it seems unable to attract even near-foreign display interest. In 2015 I think I recall even the Singaporeans flew. This year, not (at least on Friday). Both NZ and Canadian defence forces represented by C130 static displays. Even NZ?? Come on!

The F35s arrived, flew a couple of breaks, and landed. Lots of PA hype, but really, it was just another fast jet... with its cockpit canopy back-to-front. The Roulettes canned themselves due to a stiff breeze.

Uncle Sam's trusty Bone and KC135 were there as expected. The usual U.S. F16 did its usual routine with its excruciating, pre-recorded, media-wonk commentary. Most of the handling displays were the organiser's hardy perennials. Would love to have been surprised by something new. And who was really buying any GA light aircraft, corporate jets, or missiles? Was it at all worthwhile for the companies to have set them up? What meaningful business might have been transacted in those industry marquees? Any? Really? The Australian 'International' Airshow has become cringeworthy and provincial... a national embarrassment.

Is part of the problem that our organisers insist on calling it the Australian International Airshow? Might that bit of self-congratulatory knob-pulling actually put off some of the national forces in our region? There's nothing on the US airshow circuit that is labelled United States International Airshow. Paris is not called the French International Airshow. Farnborough is not presented as the UK International Airshow. Might Avalon be in the death-grip of an overly self-satisfied club of retired Air Marshals, industry sinecurists, and flying club life members? Does the whole thing need a total rethink? I think yes, and yes. For God's sake, yes!

Unless you're Ozbusdriver, there for the first time with a youngster who is going to be blown away by the noise and spectacle such as it is, it has become a bore. As for the High Flyer's Club... totally emblematic of the profiteering rip-off that this event has become.

Have no idea what I'm bitching about? Can't see what my problem is? Never seen a REAL, thrilling, entertaining airshow? You need to see Oshkosh, b'gosh! Until then, you're not on the same page as me.
I agree totally.

I will also throw in the fact that this event is more of a display of aircraft now than an airshow. Heavy reliance on RAAF, is cheating big time for an "International Airshow".

What is worse, is that if you do some digging, this event, the organisation that runs it and the organisation that owns that company, and many others, claims full charitable status.

On the same webpage, this organisation, claims to be is now run by Aerospace Australia Ltd who says this

Aerospace Australia Limited is also a member of the not-for-profit group headed by Aerospace Maritime and Defence Foundation of Australia Limited.

The corporate purpose of Aerospace Australia Limited is to promote the development of aviation and Australian industrial, manufacturing and information/communications technology resources with respect to aviation, aerospace and defence.

This event is advertised as a public airshow, but ASDU website now denies this.
It goes on to say that all invitees and performances are controlled fully by the RAAF.

Seriously, its become a big con job, funding lavish lifestyles for a select few. Its as dirty as the GP as far as hidden payments go.

To cap it all off, ticket sales are around 12 million, the organisation declares a pretty reliable 15 million in profits.

What Charity does this money go to ?

I am all for it being a Defence Expo, but dont expect the public to pay for it by pretending it is an airshow. You cant have it both ways.