PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 22:39
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just making the point that there are a lot more tangible hazards in the world of aviation. Laser pointers and drones are a risk that can be mitigated to some extent by legislation, which is a good thing. But neither of those devices have caused a crash anywhere in the world. Incompetence, fatigue, bad weather, bird strikes, terrorism and equipment failures have resulted in many crashes since laser pointers and drones first became available.

Laser pointers and drones are tangible threats to flight safety, but based on the evidence to date, birds represent a level of threat several orders of magnitude greater. No one has yet instituted the unrestricted culling of birds close to airports despite this potentially saving millions of dollars a year in aircraft repairs due to bird strikes.

So while I welcome legislation to control the irresponsible use of laser pointers and drones, I do not regard them as a genuine threat to air safety in the same league as the other hazards mentioned.

I completely accept that those who make their living from flying probably have a somewhat different opinion of these devices.