PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aeros, with or without ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 20:41
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
I always have a parachute when I do aeros. More importantly I rehearse the bail out drill before every flight. It is that practiced muscle memory when everything is going to shyte that will save you, otherwise the parachute is just an expensive seat cushion.
I totally agree.

During my time as a QFI a new order was published, mandating that due to excessive wear of the covers of parachutes caused by climbing in and out of the aircraft (Bulldog), pilots were henceforth to unstrap from the 'chute before exiting the airframe on the ground, then carefully lift the chute out. We were then required to carry out an emergency egress drill once a month, IIRC (when we were allowed to keep the 'chute on, obviously).

I refused to comply, knowing that regularly unstrapping from the seat and the 'chute was building a scenario where someone might possibly unstrap from the 'chute in the air in the heat of an emergency and exit without it. I continued to exit with my 'chute ON.

A QFI of another unit was later lost in a tragic LOC accident when he abandoned his aircraft and fell out of his 'chute when it opened. The accident report concluded that he had inadvertently unlocked the QRB at some stage in the proceedings.