PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - landing a large airliner, a320 etc
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 19:25
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically the techique is similar, it is not the same though. I know quite a few FI teach the touch down with the stall warning just starting to squeak, that would be a huge no-no in an airliner.

The attitude is demanded by the high lift devices and wing layout, unlike most small planes (the morane is somewhat of an exception) airliner wings usually have slats, and sometimes kruger flaps on the leading edges as well as slotted flaps at the trailing edges.

Flare height depends again somewhat on type. I do start the flare on an A320 somewhere between 20 and 30ft, depening on conditions and position in regards to the intended touch down point. Not all that much different to a 737 to be honest, although when transitioning from the 737 to the A320 i had to flare a few feet higher, otherwise the instructors were not all that happy. The 737 has a shorter landing gear and sits a bit lower.

Well, the autothrust usually uses idle (remember, on airbus aircraft the thrust levers do not move in autothrust), again, depending on automation mode and requirements of ATC. The automatics do calculate with an idle descent for their "managed" or "vnav" descend path.

There are some quite well made youtube videos out there that explain a lot of the normal flying in airliners, both by sitting on the flight deck or just direct explanations. A colleague of mine does a nice series if you can stand his german accent (Captain Joe), a colleague from, i believe, ryanair has a nice series as well which is mainly aimed at wannabe airline pilots (Mentour Pilot).