PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever have a "moment" when flying
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 16:33
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
KenV, Having flown off Ships in a helicopter....I can appreciate your account!

That is why you guys had Gold Wings!

It is one thing to cross the deck edge at Five Knots as compared to how fast you were traveling. On the other hand....shrinking that deck to just slightly bigger than the aircraft and greatly exaggerating the movement of said Deck also provided some sportiness to it as well.

It does get dark out there....and as the options decrease towards....none....the stress level does increase slightly.

While sat on the Landing Pad of a Crane Ship wallowing its way through the North Sea one ugly night....with the Landing Gear Oleo's bottoming out as the ship rolled and heaved....and the aircraft sliding about across the rope netting....had I been able to shut down and quit the job....I would have. The thought of picking up off that deck into the dark...while over a hundred miles from shore....was daunting.

What amazed me was as soon as we did....and were back into our element....it almost seemed like it was a boring trip back ashore....never mind the ice, snow, and high seas.

A Flying Career without some "Moments" must be very dull.....and those "moments" make for some good yarns....Afterwards!