PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 10th Mar 2017, 14:49
Wetstart Dryrun

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Sika, a while back you asked 2 telling questions.

Why the early pull-up? - Maybe used to 6000ft runways, so a bit of compensation to centralise the display? Maybe the plan for the skewed loop was to apex a mile or so on the run-in and skew it on the way down with the arena in sight, noting the crowd line, display line and crowd centre, diving nicely over the fence ready for the next manoeuvre. Seems more likely than a bent pull-up with the field out of sight.

I think the crux question is why, on this pull-up, blind-sided and belly up to the airport, did he decide to throw away the planned manoeuvre, roll 90deg away from the 1000,s of people watching, get the field back in sight with possibe manoeuvre room and then float over the top at 100kts ish, which is about the slowest comfortable (?) speed to avoid a hammerhead or similar?

My best answer to this is the pilot recognised it was going wrong (engine power variation) and this was his best effort at an escape manoeuvre. Enough has been said about hours on type, currency, recency. A hunter flopping out of the vertical deserves respect and the escape manoeuve you described would be a hunter expert version, flying to vertical down, gaining speed and then pulling is the safer version if you have spare height.

I accept I have moved into speculation. Sorry, but this theory ,to me, explains controlled, albeit badly flown, flight path. More logical than the wrong aircraft or totally losing SA

Sorry again