PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 10:24
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks for the positive stories about and by women pilots, a pleasure to read after this sorry tale of corporate puff and what my old dad (RAF 1936-1962) would have called line-shooting. I would like to add another one to show that an aviation career was always possible to those who worked for it.

About 35 years ago I met a delightful young woman called Judith. I think she was qualified in one of the health professions, but had always wanted to learn to fly. When she received a legacy from her grandmother she lost no time in achieving her PPL at our local flying club and from then on Judith would fly with anyone who would take her, even with me, and the more types the better. She was an excellent pilot and so appreciative when she was given the controls. I wasn't surprised to hear that she had left to pursue her CPL.

Maybe 10 years ago my wife and I were in Marks & Spencers, this being the highlight of life these days, when a diminutive figure approached. “Remember me, I'm Judith!” She had indeed won her CPL and had become a BA first officer on 747s on the Hong Kong route. Last I heard was that she had married a BA pilot and was continuing her career. If you're out there, Judith, well done. In your quiet way you have done more for women in aviation than any self-publicist.