PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is the Cobham/AMSA SAR Challenger 604???
Old 10th Mar 2017, 03:03
Dashunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by compressor stall
I have no connexion to any of the previous operators, and reading this thread I have no side in any fight.

I would say as a person bobbing about in a sinking boat that if I cannot reach the dropped stores, then the drop is not not successful.
CS your close to the mark.

Having been in the industry as a professional a drop can go by the book (i.e. everything functions IAW the script), if however that drop by the book isn't retrieved, or the poor helpless people in distress are not able to retrieve the item then it is deemed unsuccessful. It all comes down to the person flying (Capt) and his timing, weather has to always be factored into a drop by the crew at that moment in time.

I cant recall an actual drop in ideal conditions. If you want to see how a drop is performed in less than desireable conditions check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJB6NXVu1xY

Practice does make perfect and that is why the old operator conducted loads of land and marine drops for practice, I believe the new operator will be doing this training in the Sim (correct me if I am wrong someone).