PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Spin Safety
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2017, 17:38
ASweetOldMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick video, more later if people are interested.

Hey all,

Thanks for the help. I've added cockpit audio and such to the videos I took, and I've uploaded them just so you could see the spins if you wanted since you took the time to answer my questions! I recorded the GPS data to a GPX file, but I can't seem to make it properly match the flight. I'm guessing it got confused or disoriented or lost signal or something, because it is super out of whack, and it normally is not.

EDIT: I forgot that I originally had not added the audio because I hadn't had time yet, and that the one with cockpit audio was the among the videos waiting to upload (they seem to have stalled for some reason). This one I attached does NOT have audio, but future ones will.

I started with 2 "spins" that were stopped in the incipient stage, and then 2 with 1 full rotation (or just about), and then 3 multi-rotation spins. At the very end the instructor demonstrated what he would do if a student did the wrong inputs, and so he stomped the left rudder, but immediately did full right rudder to stop the spin before it even started. The plane just went to knife-edge and he then recovered from there.

I distinctly recall how little that last maneuver bothered me (the knife-edge one). That would have freaked me out BIG TIME before the spins.

This is the last multi-rotation spin that we did. Most of my time flying in my sim as a kid was doing aerobatics, and so I think that probably helps me stay oriented a lot, but I don't know whether or not other people would be disoriented honestly. I do distinctly recall getting disoriented near the end of this last one. I was not really too dizzy on the other ones, but just near the end of this one (right as he was letting out the rudder), I recall my dizziness going from like 20% to 90% VERY quickly. Maybe it was just because of the spin itself going for longer than the others, or maybe it was a weird effect of the recovery inputs on my inner ear.

One of the weirdest things for me is that I understand the visuals of what is going on in the spin, I can stay oriented decently (aside from this last spin), but because my experience in the sim is ONLY visual, I have to try to match what I'm feeling to what I'm seeing. I have subconscious expectations regarding what it should feel like when I am seeing certain things, and I get very distracted with what I'm feeling regardless of whether it matches those expectations or not.

In the attached screenshot, you will see what I mean about the GPS not liking spins. I doubt that we ever had a ground speed of 214 knots, so I'm guessing it's just the GPS trying to catch up to what's going on.

I will attach the other videos once they get uploaded. I started the uploads before I left for school, but it seems to have stalled out somewhere along the way.

Much more comfortable with flying already! Hopefully I can become confident in spins next time I fly.

regards,
ASweetOldMan