PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2017, 09:30
Barling Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southend misses out on the Dundee - London contract. The route will continue into STN with Loganair as it was the cheaper of the two bids made.
According to the Daily Torygraph:
The tender sought bids to operate a minimum service between Dundee Airport and any one of six London airports. “The two bids received were for services operating from Dundee to Stansted and Dundee to Southend.
“The subsidies required for the initial period of two years contained in the bids were as follows; Dundee to Stansted £3.672 million and Dundee to Southend £4.403m.”

An opportunity missed? I'm not sure. A succession of empty flights between SEN and Dundee probably would not enhance SEN's image at a time when they are making a big push for credibility.

More welcome news is that JOTA are planning to purcxhase at least another three RJ/146 variants including two Quiet Traders. Their growth has been prudent and both Mr Green and Mr Sessions are talented individuals. I wonder if, a few years hence, JOTA may try some schedules from SEN? I'd have thought a SEN-EDI and SEN-RTM may be viable due to the RBS and London Gateway connections? That would provide some security during the winter down time for ACMI operations. Just a thought......